This post was inspired by a client last Saturday. She mentioned that she’d “resisted” using a recovery drink immediately after training(why did she resist? I should ask.). Then she said ” I’m a believer now I feel so much better after training.” Her comments reminded me that even though clients pay me very well for results they don’t always actually implement the tactics they paid for.
Eating immediately after training to maximize fat-loss and speed recovery should be as automatic as putting your shoes on to workout. Automatic and essential.
My clients results and research has proven to maximize fat-loss and recovery you need to refuel immediately(as soon as you can stomach something) after training
The way this helps you is Three fold.
1. You want to maximize fat-loss from your training. The way we train high-intensity low-duration pops your metabolism straight up. After training your body begins to lower your metabolism. If you don’t refuel your body soon. Your metabolism(fat-burning) drops quickly so you literally don’t run out of energy. By refueling immediately after you send your body a signal to keep the metabolism(fat-burning) elevated. Research has shown this combination of Hi-Intensity exercise and refueling immediately after training can elevate your metabolism(fat-burning) for 24-48 hours after training ends!
2. You want to recover as fast as possible. After training you want to get nutrition into your body as fast ass possible. This is your maximizing fat-loss window. A good after training meal consists of
1) Protein to help rebuild muscle. Remember muscle is your metabolism.
2) Carbs to help refuel glycogen stores. Glycogen is what your muscles use for fuel.
3) Fats help make the other two work properly.
This prevent you from losing muscle and increasing fat stores.(that’s a bad combination).
This allows you to recover quickly and completely and you are able to train harder sooner. Increasing frequency of effective training sessions is another way to lose more fat faster.
3) You will literally feel better faster. No more leaning against the car door on the drive home, laying on the couch for an hour after training. You’ll start to feel better on the way home.
What should you use?
If you’re new to this keep it simple. Use the ready to drink(RTD) versions for speed and convenience. The powders you mix yourself with water work well too.
I recommend EAS Myoplex Light (pictured above) for women. Regular EAS Myoplex for men. You can find it at Target or Wal-Mart or online. Why do I recommend this brand? Because EAS has been around for a longtime, easy to find, have worked fine for me and 100’s of clients.
This is not your only choice. There are other identical products on the market that get the job done. Musclemilk, Leanbody, Shaklee Physique for example. They all tend to buy their ingredients from the same suppliers so find one that you’ll actually use.
Protip– Taste-wise vanilla tends to be pretty reliable . When they make it chocolate the flavor gets a little messed up sometimes. So don’t buy a months supply unless you’ve tested the flavor for you.
Test this out on yourself. You’ll feel better after training. You’ll lose fat faster. And you’ll get some decent nutrition in for the day.
That’s a winner in my book.