Snacks are an important part of a healthy diet. Eating in regular intervals will keep your metabolism up all day long, but eating too many calories will result in weight gain. Snacks are the perfect solution to get a kick of energy without going over your calorie requirements. The important thing is, however, getting the right mix of nutrients for optimum results in a small package.
Snacks, and all meals for that matter, should have a mix of carbs, protein and fat to give you energy and keep you satisfied. It’s easy to get in a snack rut, and miss out on benefits.
Here are some different snacks ideas that give you the nutrients you needfor just a few hundred calories.
- 1 medium whole grain tortilla, 2 tbsp hummus, 2 slices tomato, 4 cucumber slices, 1 oz tuna
- 1/2 cup whole grain couscous, 4 oz cubed tofu, 1/2 cup broccoli, 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable soup, 3 small whole grain crackers, 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 rye crisp crackers, 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1 small piece of fruit
- 1/2 whole grain English muffin, 2 tbsp hummus, 1/2 cup fresh berries
- 1 small pita, 3 oz chicken breast, 1/2 cup cucumber slices, 1 slice tomato
- 1 slice whole grain bread, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, 1 cup fat free milk
- 1 packet plain oatmeal made with 1 cup low-fat milk, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Kelly Turner is a Seattle area ACE Certified Personal Trainer, health and fitness writer and editor of the fitness website, PhysiqueSpeak.com. To contact Kelly with any questions, you can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leave a Reply