The majority of Americans spend most of their time at work. More specifically, at a desk in front of the computer. If you don’t plan, this desk can be your recipe for weight gain and a sedentary lifestyle. BUT! With a little planning, you can turn your home away from home into a well-stocked, piece of health and fitness equipment.
- Stock your drawers with green tea, gum to curb mindless eating.
- Invest in a minifridge, and fill it with lowfat yogurts, bottled water and fresh cut veggies.
- Put a sticky note on your computer monitor to remind yourself to get up every hour and take a walk around the office.
- Put a jar on your desk. Whenever you feel like getting up and grabbing a candy bar from the vending machine, take that dollar and put it in the jar. When it’s full, use it to buy yourself a nice reward.
- Replace your normal desk chair with a stability ball chair. It’s more fun to bounce while you work, plus the instability will work your core.
- Stash resistance bands or light dumbbells somewhere on or near your desk. Take some time everyday to get in some strength training moves.
- Replace the candy in your bowl with fresh fruit.
Kelly Turner is a Seattle area ACE Certified Personal Trainer, health and fitness writer and editor of the fitness website, PhysiqueSpeak.com. To contact Kelly with any questions, you can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.