The key to successful weight loss is to have a strong support system around you. Your home is yours, and you control what you do or do not keep in the house. Most people eat more meals at work than in their home, however, which means your workplace needs to be a healthy food haven , as well.
How can you do this when it seems there is nothing but candy bowls, vending machines and take out?
Chances are, many people in your office are also looking to shape up, and fed up with the lack of healthy food. They aren’t doing anything about it, so it’s up to you to set the example. Try a workplace salad pot luck.
Send out a mass email, place a poster on the bulletin board, or use work of mouth to let everyone know that once a week, you will be hosting a workplace salad potluck. Encourage everyone to bring their favorite healthy salads and sides to swap and share with coworkers for a healthy, low calorie, and fun lunch.
Sound boring? Forget the plain old garden salad. Try these for delicious variety:
- Cold couscous salad with veggies and feta
- Fruit salad with plain yogurt and nuts for topping
- Whole wheat pasta salad with veggies and low fat Italian dressing
- Broccoli salad with dried cherries, almonds and greek yogurt dressing
- Tuna or salmon salad made with curry powder
- Spinach salad with hard boiled egg whites and grilled chicken
- A plate of fresh cut veggies and hummus for dipping
To keep calories low, always use yogurt instead of mayo (I SWEAR you won’t tell the difference) and to mix it up a little, one week have everyone bring 1 unique salad ingredient to make a salad bar. Try grilled chicken, raisins, nuts, sunflower seeds, baby corn, cottage cheese- the possibilities are endless!